INCREASE your adsense revenue by improving Click Through Rate (CTC) and Cost Per Click (CPC) of your ads. I was surprised when I first learnt the tricks. I was amazed when I implemented the tricks on our sites and saw the awesome results.
The contextual google adsense revenue improves by implementing many simple optimization tips. I will outline the most crucial basic and advanced topics briefly.
1. Rich Text Content: High quality text content attracts more ads to your web page and there will be more competition among ads. Competing ads increase Cost Per Click (CPC). Good content also increases the number of page impressions. More page views boost Click Through Rate (CTR) of ads. Specific topic targeted content also increases search engine rankings of your website in search engine results page (SERP) driving more users to your website! Your reputation increases. Thus rich text has many benefits!
2. Ad Location: Ads on top and left of the page perform better. The ads near/embedded in content, near site navigation aides, and after articles on article based sites yield good results. As a result, good ad location improves CTR.
It is very important to place the ads where users see them. The heat map illustrates the ideal placing of ads on a sample page layout. The colors fade from dark orange (strongest performance) to light yellow (weakest performance).
3. Ad Appearance: Lot of people have seen excellent results by choosing blending, complementing, and contrasting ads based on the design of a web page. To blend, make the background and borders of your ads the same color as the background of your page where the ad is placed. To complement, use colors that already exist on your site, but don’t match the background and borders exactly where the ads are placed. To contrast, choose colors that stand out against the background of your site. Provide sufficient breathing space around the ads. I have got better results on our sites with blend and complement ads.
Experts have advised that the ads that match the look and feel of your site’s design perform better than ads with alien colors. Even ads on our sites have shown good results after implementing this advice.
4. Ad Size: Bigger and wider ad formats have done well as they are easier for users to read and show more ads in a single unit. Large Rectangle (336 x 280), Leaderboard (728 x 90), and Wide Skyscraper (160×600) have shown better results than others. Other ad formats like Medium Rectangle (300 x 250), Banner (468 x 60), and Skyscraper (120×600) have performed well at appropriate positions. So consider migrating from narrower ads to broader ads where ever possible in your web site.
5. Multiple Ad Units: Google Adsense allows you to put 3 standard AdSense for content ad units, 3 link units, and 2 AdSense for search boxes on each page of your site. Utilize appropriate number of ad units in your web site to increase CTR.
6. Filter Less: You can filter the type of ads to be displayed from your control panel. Try avoiding filtering ads to increase CPC since more filtering may avoid displaying better paying ads. It is advised to opt-in for text and image ads.
7. Section Targeting: Consider section targeting to emphasize or ignore the page content for better ads targeting and performance.
<!– google_ad_section_start –>
<!– google_ad_section_end –>
<!– google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) –>
Related articles / Navigation
<!– google_ad_section_end –>
8. Targetable Custom Channels (Ad Placements): Setting up custom channels helps in tracking the performance of the ads. Set up your custom channels so that they are targetable by advertisers with high quality ads thus increasing the CPC & CTR. This is one of the important tips that you cannot afford to neglect.
9. Links from Relevant Sites: The hyper text links from relevant websites to your site not only increases search engine rankings of your website in SERP but also influences the contextual google ads. A referral URL is one of many signals google uses to deliver contextually relevant ads on your website. The referral URL contains information about the link a user followed to arrive at your website, whether from a search engine or another site on the Internet. Google also considers few hours of browsing history of a user to deliver google ads on your site. Google tries various methods as described above to match the ads to your content and improve CTR and CPC.
10. Link Units: Consider link units when there is a space constraint and your content is specific to certain topics. You can choose a variety of link unit formats.
12. AdSense for Ajax: AdSense for Ajax allows you to serve the content targeted ads whenever there’s a context change even without requiring a page to be reloaded. It is a permission-only feature. Visit AdSense for Ajax to request permission.
13. Better User Experience: Give prime importance to the users of your site. Design the web site in such a way that it should be easy for your users to find the content they are looking for. Better user experience allows them to visit your web site again. Don’t mislead your users by placing the ads inappropriately to deceive them. Users click on the ads when the ads properly complement the content on your web site.
14. Miscellaneous: Read google adsense program policies and obey them in order to avoid public service ads and other undesirable things to happen that hinder your adsense revenue. Place the ads on pages that receive the most traffic. Choose a web hosting company that serves ads and pages without much delay.